Values of Free Expression


The First Amendment allows freedom from religion, of religion; speech, press; assembly, and petition. The Eight Values of Free Expression came about because of this. The most important Values of Free Expression to me is (second) participation in self-government and (sixth) checking on our government. 

Participation in self-government is very important to me because it’s our duty to have a say and be able to speak for what we want or believe in. We can do this by voting, but in order to do this, we need to be informed on what’s going on. I think that comes with watching the news and watching all different outlets, so you have an appropriate opinion. I think many of us these days just hear one side then automatically believe that’s true without reading all the facts behind it.

When gathering information about who you want to vote for or what side you believe in more it's curial to look at both sides. You need to have a well-rounded opinion and figure out what elector will be best for every aspect not just certain ones. I think this gets hard because many people only vote for someone because their parents or friends do. My parents usually do not talk about who they voted for because they do not want the other person to be influenced. You need to be able to form your opinions and thoughts on your own.

I think all of this goes hand in hand with checking on our government and holding them accountable for what they are doing. It’s important to voice when they are abusing their power and doing what they said they were not going to do. We can do this with social media and directly saying how we feel or in four years not vote them back again. I think both of these values of expression are essential in our everyday life. 

The article I found I think works perfectly for our participation in self-government because it tells everyone the benefit of voting and how it’s our right. This article is important because there are still people who do not think their votes matter or count. Your vote can make a change, and this is something I will always keep in my mind.




Comments

Popular Posts